Fraud is on the rise- and even credit unions are not immune.
We've heard from members recently about calls with individuals claiming to be from the credit union. These attempts are becoming more frequent and more effective, often playing on your emotions and seeking to gain your trust.
Here's what you need to know:
- Alabama Central will never contact you and ask for personal information by text, email, or an unsolicited phone call. This includes requests for passwords, challenge question answers, and any other sensitive information.
- Scammers can be convincing. They may use urgent messages, familiar names, poor grammar, and even your personal information to appear legitimate. They can even spoof phone numbers to make it seem like they're from Alabama Central.
- Be vigilant across all platforms. Watch for suspicious emails, texts, social media messages, and phone calls, especially those from unknown numbers or contacts.
Here's how you can stay protected:
- Never share your account passwords, PINs, one-time passcodes, Social Security numbers, or credit and debit card numbers.
- Remember, Alabama Central will never ask for this information through unsolicited communication.
- If you question the legitimacy of a request, contact us directly at 800-223-2415 for help verifying.
- If you feel your accounts have been compromised, report it to us immediately at 800-223-2415 or [email protected].
Stay informed and protect your hard-earned money. By learning to recognize the signs of fraud and taking proactive steps, you can keep your finances safe.